Thursday, July 10, 2008

Blackberry Cobbler

I attribute my love of cooking to my mother and my grandma (on my father's side). I grew up in the kitchen watching them and helping out when they would let me. I loved watching my grandmother make cornbread for her cornbread dressing. I was almost always allowed to crumble the warm cornbread in a large bowl and then use my hands to mix in the chopped onion and celery and the sage. The warmth from the cornbread made the scent of the onion, celery, and sage come out and fill the kitchen. I have that same experience today each time I make cornbread dressing.

One of my favorite things that my grandma made was blackberry cobbler. Fresh blackberries cooked with sugar and butter to make a sweet, thick sauce. Strips of dough mingled in the sauce with a lightly browned lattice pastry topping. Warm bowls of cobbler topped with cream. YUMMY!!! Unfortunately no one captured grandma's recipe on paper before she passed away - she didn't use written recipes when she cooked.

The recipe below is nothing like my grandma's, but is very good. I've made it several times and it always turns out good. Top the hot cobbler with ice cream or heavy cream - or just enjoy it by itself. YUMMY!!

BTW - Fresh blackberries are in season right now and you can find places to go pick them fresh!! Go here to find out about Boyd Mill Farm .

Blackberry Cobbler

This is the original recipe. I don't make the dough as stated in step 3. I use Bisquick and milk instead of the flour, butter, and milk. I use 1 1/2 cups of bisquick and 1/3 cup milk. Mix the two together to form a dough and then continue with step 4. If dough is too dry, add a little milk, if too wet, add a little more Bisquick. Also, it is easier to roll if you let the frozen blackberries defrost before using them, if you are using the frozen blackberries.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter or margarine, divided
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour*
1/3 cup milk, room temperature
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar

DIRECTIONS
1. In a 10-in. round or oval baking dish, melt 1/2 cup butter; set aside.
2. In a saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar melts; set aside.
3. Place flour in a mixing bowl; cut in remaining butter until fine crumbs form. Add milk, stirring with a fork until dough leaves sides of bowl.
4. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead three or four times. Roll out to an 11-in. x 9-in. rectangle 1/4 in. thick.
5. Spread berries over dough; sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up, jelly-roll style. Cut into 1/4-in. thick slices. Carefully lay slices in baking dish over butter.
6. Pour sugar syrup around slices (The syrup will thicken when cooking, don't worry that it looks really soupy right now).
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over top and bake 15 minutes more.

(*If self-rising flour is not available, use 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder.)

1 comment:

Wags said...

yay becky has a blog! so will we be seeing the strawberry cake recipe anytime soon? he he he :)

i made me a pretty tasty blackberry cobbler myself tonight... fresh blackberries from the produce man across the street from the church. my grandma's recipe too- only we had a little help on the crust from Ms. Crocker. :)