Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Joshua's Lasagna (plus a recipe for great bread)

Can't find the cable to download pics from my camera, so I'll add pics when I can.

Here's how Joshua's lasagna making experience went down.

Everything started off great: We had the recipe, Joshua washed his hands and put on an apron - which he modeled appropriately for the camera. Now, just let me say that Joshua gets queasy quite easily. All you have to do is mention the words "extra cheesy cheez-its" and he gags as he runs to the nearest receptacle. Sooo...when he pulled the ground beef out of the fridge I could tell by the look on his face that this might be one of those moments.

Joshua: "What animal is THIS from, Mom?"
(He has just in the last few months began to realize that meat comes from some animal, so we get asked this question ALOT.)
Me: "A cow."
Joshua: "Well, it looks like worms!!!"
(Now I KNOW this is going to be one of these moments.)
Joshua: "I'm not touching it!!!"
Me: "You don't have to touch it. I'll put it in the pan and you can stir it around with the wooden spoon."
Joshua: "Uh, okay..." (at this point his skin is quite pale and he has that "extra cheesy cheez-it" look)

He stirs for a minute or so, then it happens.
Joshua (with his hands on his stomach): "I don't feel well. Do I have to finish?"
Me: "What's wrong. Does the meat gross you out?"
Joshua: "Noooo...that's not it. Just don't feel good."
Me: "Okay. Go lay down on the sofa. I'll check on you in a minute."

So, I figure his cooking experience is over and I finish browning the meat myself. Just as I finish up the meat, guess who pops back into the kitchen...my little chef is back and ready to finish the lasagna. He follows the rest of the recipe and puts together a fantastic looking lasagna (which I don't have a picture of because the batteries died and we didn't have any others in the house. I have real issues with cameras!!)

The lasagna ends up being fantastic. Joshua is one proud chef and I'm one proud sous chef. He still vehemently denies that the meat grossed him out...we'll see what happens when he has to handle raw chicken!!!

Moving on to that promised recipe. Hannah and I made spaghetti and meatballs last night and had this fantastic bread to go with it - lots of herbs and garlic. Thanks to Ina Garten.
Garlic Bread

No comments: